6.26.2008

Yellowstone

We decided to take a little Summer trip to Yellowstone since it is one of the nicest, kid-friendly spots nearby. We had a great time! We learned what to do, where NOT to stay, and how much time it takes to see the sights. Our next trip to Yellowstone in a few years will be even better now that we know how far in advance to book a cabin!

This is a view of the Snake River in the background. Everywhere we turned, we saw postcard-worthy views. It was so amazingly breathtaking.
Our little navigator asleep on the job!

Amara was a little trooper with all of the driving and sleeping in more rustic conditions. She is normally not a cuddler, and neither Cameron or I can sleep while cuddling with a baby, but on this trip she actually cuddled with us, as she was all tuckered out from the action of the trip. This meant that we didn't sleep that well, but Amara did! To keep her interested during the driving, we sang lots of songs and taught her all the hand actions for "Popcorn Popping" while we drove. She is loving nursery at church and she will be all ready to sing with the other kids on Sunday. She now knows all of the body parts, including the ones rarely taught until you're on a long trip: cheeks, teeth, belly button, elbow, tongue, and knees.

Amara's first (stuffed) bison ride in Jackson, Wyoming.

A view of the Tetons, on our way to Yellowstone.

Everywhere we went, we saw wildlife, without even trying. These bison were grazing literally 20 feet from the road - I didn't even have to zoom in on this one. We saw several bears, elk, squirrels, mountain goats, a moose with her calf, and other wildlife. Cameron was glad because he knows how excited I get when I see wildlife.

This was our cabin for our first night's stay.

Grazing elk at close range.

Mammoth Hot Springs

The lower falls of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.


On our way to the different sights, and during Amara's cat naps, Cameron and I started reading "Twilight" to see what all the hype is about and to finish before the movie comes out. It's a lot more sappy than we're used to, but it made the drive seem shorter. In the midst of the sappiness, we weren't sure whether the repetition of "Popcorn Popping" for the fiftieth time, or reading that book would make us crazy first. Kind of like riding "It's a Small World" at Disneyland!

Cameron and Amara watching an elk at close range.

The Old Faithful Geyser erupting. We were fortunate to see many geysers erupting - even the ones that erupt once a day or even less than that. It was perfect timing so we even got home a day earlier than we had planned.

Amara giving that "I'm tired, let's go home" look on our last day.

7 comments:

Jeremy and Heather said...

Hello Dibbs!
That was a great picture taken by the Grand Canyon at Yellowstone! Ha - my brother-in-law took it! That is so crazy you guys ran into each other. I had to check your blog to see if you would post about your trip. By the way, Jolene says that they stopped at your cabin/tent campground place and heard that two bears were seen in the campground that night! Was that part of the where not to stay place? So they went 15 minutes down the road and stayed in a very nice lodge resort for pretty cheap. Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well - congrats on the baby news! We are now bloggers too - jerandheather.blogspot.com

-Parkers

Leslie said...

Daniel does that "can we go home now?" look too. She may not remember the trip but it's the family togetherness that counts.

nat and josh said...

Glad you guys had fun in Yellowstone. It is one of my favorite places. Love the pictures! And congrats on finding out you are having a boy!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That area is beautiful. Nice belly.

Delores said...

Hey there. When did you guys go to Yellowstone? We went at the end of May, first week of June. How neat. We absolutly loved it!! Glad to see you all are doing well.

Deanna said...

Hey there, cute pregnant girl! Love the pics!! You look so cute! And I just can't believe how big Amara is getting! :o)

Anonymous said...

Senora! Hey Amy! Hi! How's it going? You gave me your blog address years ago and I just found it again! Wow, pregnant again with a boy! That's so exciting. Congratulations! I don't know if this is the right forum to be writing all this but I don't know how else to get in contact. My email is sully1234@gmail.com if you want to email me and I'll give you my number and we can talk. It's been way to long. Oh, and una cosa mas... hay vacas en Yellowstone?